U3A is an organization where the members themselves take part in all aspects of the day to day running of the activities. Like-minded members from all walks of life are encouraged to form informal groups and share their knowledge with fellow members, all on a voluntary basis. Members offer their particular area of interest and if others wish to take part, a group is formed and classes begin. There are no prerequisites, no exams or tests.
U3A Dandenong is supported by the City of Greater Dandenong and is a member of U3A Network Victoria, which provides services for its members and represents them in negotiation with government and commercial bodies.
U3A is a world-wide movement. It began in France in 1972, when legislation was passed that required universities to provide more community education. The first U3A was open to anyone over retirement age; no qualifications or examinations were required, and fees were kept to a minimum, although traditional universities provided the most of the direction and course material to their U3A brethren. The idea spread rapidly throughout France and Europe, and then across the Atlantic to Quebec and California. In Great Britain, the movement evolved toward self-direction and local autonomy. This is the model followed in Australia.
U3A Dandenong is also a member of U3A Online, which can be for the individual, the class or for those wishing to be supervised from afar.
- To be a fully autonomous, self-supporting and voluntary organisation
- To provide a creative use of leisure time
- To establish and maintain educational, cultural and physical programmes
- To broaden intellectual horizons irrespective of background
- To promote and further the concept and adoption of U3A in the general community
- To seek and maintain contact with organisations and individuals involved with the U3A
- Our fees are $50 for July to next June and $25 for January to June.
We have 2 semesters
Find Us At:
Learning should not stop as we get older. The U3A provides social and intellectual stimulation for retired people aged 50 years and over.
Classes are designed to be enjoyable as well as educational.
The U3A gives you the opportunity to learn something that you have always intended to learn but have not had the time to pursue